How do you turn your hobby into a business?
- First find out what your hobbies are. Do you love to read, write, sing, dance? Pick one or two that you do very well. We’ll use writing as an example.
- Harness your skills. having a hobby might not necessarily mean you are an expert in that area. If you love to write, for example, you might need to improve your writing skills and structure your tone to engage your audience more. So start by writing more everyday. Write on any topic that interests you, any topic at all. Just write.
- Test the waters. Offer your writing services at every opportunity. At first, do this free of charge. The idea is to find out how good you really are and to allow yourself make mistakes without putting yourself under the pressure of justifying the money you earn. There are lots of platforms that allow you express your writing talents free of charge. Medium.com is one of them. You could also find bloggers in your area of interest and offer them your services free of charge. The good ones among them would appreciate your desire to grow and help you by pointing out areas in your writing that need improvement.
- Start making money. When you are confident of your writing abilities, attach a price to your services. Some of those places that accepted your free services will appreciate this also and pay you. The more you write, the more clients you stand to get. With time, you will earn higher fees.
- Go big. Advertise yourself. Create a Facebook/Instagram page for your services, start a website, join freelancing websites like elance.com and fiverr.com. The sky is your limits.
If you love to make people laugh or you can talk and you love doing it…you just might be the next comedian the world is waiting for. Pursue it!
Yours might be to dance, sing or write…there is absolutely nothing stopping you from being who you want to be or who you were created to be.